The Sweet Potato is Deep in Memory. Everywhere in the World.


That is an understatement.

Sweet Potatoes are myriad, their colors ranging from the bright orange that, in the American South, we all identify as iconic, all the way to the sweet-sweet whites found in Virginia and North Carolina, the yellows and browns found elsewhere, and the exotic purples experienced in Japan and other parts of the world.

Memories of my long-gone grandmother and her many sisters swirl in my thoughts every time I bake a sweet potato pie, and lately, to honor her memory but more to love my husband and to use every last energy I have in my aging body to help him as he pursues an ancient dream to cook, to create, and to love us, his wife and children, by putting his food out into the world, I bake sweet potato pies often. Which means I think of my grandmother often.

The memories run deep. The meanings run deep. Way beyond "Who has the best sweet potato pie", although that is relevant, too.

I know mine is so good. There will always, however, be someone better. But mine is confident, and good. So good.

I cannot prepare a sweet potato without thinking of my mothers before me.

- Mrs. Davenport

Comments

  1. I can't believe this, Few months back doctor told me that I was HIV positive, I lost all hope in life on one faithful day March 15th I came across a woman say about Dr Ebacol I messaged the woman and she told me that Dr Ebacol is a very good doctor and Dr Ebacol helped her to get rid of her HIV illness permanent I ask her for Dr Ebacol contact she sent it to me and I decided to email him and he told me that all is going to be well with me and I decided to purchased his herbal medicine and used Ups courier service to ship the herbal medicine to me and he also told me how I will used the herbal medicine and I did as he told me behold I am now negative as you are reading this testimony and please whatsApp him on +2348159042641    or email address
     drebacolherbalhome1@gmail.com
        

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts